A feature box is a web part that can have text and a button or a list of links. The box appears in the right side of the webpage. (On a mobile device, the box appears at the end of the webpage.)
A feature box has a coloured bar at its top. There are two kinds of web parts used to feature content:
- a content editor web part – used to display short amounts of text (such as contact information), a title for a list of links following it, a button or a photo
- a summary links web part – used to display a list of links
In this illustration, there are actually three web parts used to present all the content in the margin:
- two content editor web parts – one has the contact us information (heading and text) and the button, the other has the heading for the list of links
- one summary links web part – has the two links
If you want to highlight short, important content related to the topic, use a feature box. You will need to add a web part, and then populate it with content.
The kinds of content that work best in feature boxes are:
Very short bits of content
- Contact information, clinic or office open hours
- "Calls to action" such as links to forms to fill out and submit
Links to related documents
Links to internal pages or related external websites
To follow PHSA style for feature boxes:
Keep the number
of feature boxes to three per page; the sidebar should not be longer on the screen than the main page content.
- Put lists of related documents and links in a link list format in the sidebar. You can add a short description above the links if needed.
- Give feature boxes of links a heading (use Heading 5 style)
- In a basic plus template page (a page with three tabs) the sidebar is visible regardless of which tab is open.
- If you have more than one link, use the Summary links web part to create a links list
- If you have an action associated with a feature box, such as visiting another website or page, use a link or a button. Use a button instead of a link list if there is only one action and it is a primary action on the page.
- If you need to include text in the feature box, keep it quite short.