People come to our web pages with questions or tasks. Only publish content that helps people with their needs.
The content on our websites should help provide better patient care
. Before you create or update web content, identify everyone in your team who should be involved with the web pages. This includes the web editor and owner, leadership, and subject matter experts who provide expertise on a topic. Together, list the business goals your content is supporting.
Some sample business goals are:
- We provide care for children with asthma in B.C.
- We help PHSA staff work remotely.
- We provide gender-affirming resources for health professionals in B.C.
Web content takes a lot of time and resources to maintain. Can your team update your content every six months at a minimum?
One helpful exercise is to determine what web content is essential and what is nice-to-have. Your team should start with essential web content.
List the audiences for whom you’re creating content. Common audiences include:
- Families, supporters or caregivers
- PHSA staff
- Health professionals in B.C.
It may be helpful to list major sub-groups in your audiences if they have unique needs. For example, for patients, you may want to include:
- New patients
- Re-occurring patients
- Male patients
- Patients who use English as an additional language
For each audience, identify key stages in their user journey as they interact with your service. For a new patient, the key stages may be:
- Learning about your clinic (but haven’t been referred)
- Receiving a referral to your clinic
- Preparing for an appointment
- Travelling to an appointment
- After their first appointment
- Preparing for a follow-up appointment
- Finishing their patient journey
For each key stage of their user journey, list their key tasks and informational needs.
For example, for a new patient that has learned about your clinic but has not received a referral, some questions they may have are:
- What services does this clinic provide?
- Where is this clinic located?
- How can my GP refer me to this clinic?
- What is the phone number for this clinic?
Identify everyone in your team who should be involved with the web pages. This includes the web editor and owner, leadership, and subject matter experts who provide expertise on a topic.
- Together, list the business goals that your content is serving.
- Determine your key audiences, their user journey(s) and key needs.
- Write content that fulfills your user needs, and update your web pages.