All the page editing is done through the editing ribbon. See Editing Ribbon: Quick reference guide.
Use the appropriate style from the ribbon to format your text to maintain a consistent style on our websites. Also, use the heading styles instead of bolding headings as this improves search engine optimization (SEO) and assists people using screen readers understand the layout of the page.
Guide to styles:
- Paragraph – for body text
- Heading 2 - to divide subtopics in body text
- Heading 3 – to divide subtopics in body text under heading 2
- Heading 5 – for a heading in a web part
- Heading 4 – to divide subtopics in text under heading 3
- Button (multi-coloured) – for a callout displayed on its own, with no other web part,
- Flat Button – for a callout displayed with a web part. Please use only one button on a page.
- Callout – for short pieces of information that need to be visually distinguished from many body of text. If using for a direct quote, add quote marks and the nameof person (in italic).
- Horizontal Rule – as needed
- Type your text
- Apply paragraph formatting to all your text. In POD, it’s called content formatting.
Add your headings, links, bulleted/numbered lists, and images.
- On our external websites, do not apply paragraph formatting to content in accordions. This is due to a temporary technical issue.
- Remember, use heading two before using heading three. Skipping heading ranks is confusing for people, particularly people using assistive technology.
- Copy your content from Word.
- Right-click in SharePoint and choose “Paste as plain text”. Do not just paste. You must paste as plain text.
Follow the same formatting steps as if you had typed your text in directly. See steps two and three from above.
- You will lose your links and images during this transfer, and will need to re-add them later in step four.
- If your Word document had bulleted or numbered lists, linked text, or images, you’ll need to re-format or re-add them in SharePoint.
There is a button on the editing ribbon called Edit Source. Clicking this button will reveal the HTML code for the content box you are editing.
Please do not try to edit this code. This can result in errors on the page and create non-standard code for our development team to fix.