The project had a primary and a secondary objective, and our design firm, Signals Design Group, developed design principles through consultations and reviews.
The primary objective of the project was to bring all sites onto one platform (SharePoint 2013) to build an organization-wide web competency that would encourage regular content updates and ongoing, consolidated and cost effective technical support.
The secondary intent of this project was to harmonize the "common look and feel" of all PHSA websites in order to reinforce the PHSA brand and create a similar user experience across the brand.
So as not to lose the original intention of this large project, Signals developed a project charter of design principles to guide their development efforts.
These principles were conceived through broad engagement and consultation. The following consultations and reviews took place before we initiated the design of the first website, Provincial Health Services Authority (www.phsa.ca):
- Reviewing analytics and metrics from previous sites (where available)
- Reviewing previous work done on web planning (where applicable)
- Conducting requirements (user) workshops with each program
- Reviewing Information Architecture (IA) plans with each program with refinements
- Conducting user testing of IA plan with refinements
- Reviewing visual design with all programs and adjusting according to feedback